With more than 250 million active users, Facebook is the world's #1 social networking platform. But developing successful Facebook applications presents unique challenges, both technical and nontechnical.
Using extensive real-world examples, John Maver and Cappy Popp reveal why some Facebook applications succeed brilliantly while others fail. Next, they walk through building a complete application using every major component of the Facebook platform. Maver and Popp thoroughly cover Facebook's most important new features, including Facebook Connect, and provide extensive information available nowhere else-from measuring application success to monetization.
- Thorough introductions to Facebook's current architecture, integration points and development technologies
- Discussion of successful Facebook applications-and what makes them successful
- What every developer must know about Facebook's Terms of Service
- Creating an effective application infrastructure
- Creating canvas pages with FBML and IFrames
- Adding support for profiles, application tabs, and messaging
- Debugging techniques for Facebook applications
- Spreading, monitoring, and tuning applications